Cilantro Lime Shrimp over Coconut Jasmine Rice with Quinoa
I had a lot of Coconut milk in the fridge left over from making Pina Coladas the other day. I wanted to do something healthy with it so I decided to cook Poultry Heat Cilantro Lime Shrimp over Coconut Jasmine Rice with Quinoa. Sounds impressive right? The truth is, if the John Watling Amber Rum (can't get it in the US) had not run out. I never would have even cooked this instead I would have asked my friends to bring over pizza. I guess there can be a silver lining to the No Rum Rain Cloud. This dish is pretty simple to prepare and besides I had excess Pina Colada ingredient and a lime.
Included in the steps below I discuss how I smoke the Poultry Heat and cumin. I pour the spices in a skillet heat them until smoking then remove them from the heat. Usually pouring spices onto or into something I can manage and use that dish to sprinkle the smokey Poultry Heat over the item I want to season.
Poultry Heat Seasoned Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- 1.5lbs peeled jumbo shrimp
- 2 teaspoons of Poultry Heat
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 lime (actually the juice from 1 lime)
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil
Jasmine Rice with Quinoa
- 1 cup of Jasmine Rice
- 1/2 cup of Quinoa
- 1.5 cups of chicken broth
- 1.5 cups of light coconut milk
- In a saucepan, bring the broth and coconut milk to a boil.
- Stir in Jasmine rice and Quinoa, reduce heat, cover, and and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, 20 minutes.
- Fluff with fork
- Combine Poultry Heat and Cumin (herb mixture) in a large un-greased/ un-oiled nonstick skillet. Heat skillet with herb mixture until the mixture starts smoking. This step really intensifies the flavor of the Cumin and the Aeromatics in Poultry Heat. Remove the spices from the heat and tilt skillet (careful don't burn yourself) the herb mixture should be not stick to the skillet and allow you to pour it into another container. Sprinkle 1/2 of smoked herb mixture over the 1.5lbs of shrimp.
- Heat large Skillet and add 2 tsp of olive oil.
- Cook shrimp undisturbed for about 2 minutes.
- Turn shrimp over sprinkle the remaining smoked herb mixture and cook until opaque thought about 1 min.
- Squeeze the lime juice over all the shrimp add the cilantro toss well, and serve.
Tip: I like to pour some of the liquid from my pot over my rice.